This site is dedicated to my fondness for fowl. Not in any way that requires years of therapy. It's not even my favorite meat. I just think it's neat. What can I say? I am easily amused.
Plus, it may have something to do with the fact that my first and middle names said together are a homonym of poultry (Paul Troy).

Monday, May 26, 2008

Well, Isn't That Silly?!

I remember growing up hearing and then retelling the tale of how silly the execs. at GM were for trying to sell their Chevy Nova in Spanish speaking countries. Their silliness comes from the fact idea that the word Nova sounds a lot like the Spanish words no va, which translates to doesn't go. So, no one in those countries bought the car and it was a huge failure all because the corporation trying to sell something didn't do their research.

Well, apparently it never happened. Yes the car was sold in some Spanish speaking countries but it was not a failure and there is no evidence that consumers mistook it to mean no va. See this informative article that debunks the mythic lore on http://www.snopes.com/ for more info.

The Snopes article goes on to make the point that the folks who spread the urban legend are doing the very same thing that the tale is finding fault with: Not doing adequate research before hand. There are a lot of marketing courses and books that cite this anecdote as proof of poor preparation / fact checking. I guess the material was created before Snopes was around. :-)

There is another legendary tale of linguistic snafus in marketing about a slogan from the vacuum company, Electrolux. The slogan was, "Nothing sucks like an Electrolux" and it was purported that due to the poor translation into English, that the ad hurt sales for the company. Well, that turns out to be another falsehood because where the slogan was promoted, the U.K., the word suck is not used, or at least it wasn't used back then, to mean "to do poorly", the exact opposite of the ad's intent.

Why have I brought to you these tales of marketing gone wrong do to loose translations? I have no idea. If you figure out the reason for me, leave a post. The most probable answer will win a prize!

9 comments:

Hilda said...

Ummm...because you couldn't think of anythig else to post about.

TracyMichele said...

Because you received an email today stating that Osama Bin Laden was captured and hanged but you didn't believe it. So off you went to snopes.com for verification and as you so often do, you ended up navigating deeper and deeper in their site until you stumbled across a funny little tidbit about the Nova. Which stopped you dead in your tracks, fearfully remembering Mrs.Pheasantly Fascinating asked you to vacuum out the car today but you forgot. You then decided to search for problems surrounding your electrolux for a believable excuse as to your absent minedness. But instead, you ended up with blog fodder. And now there you sit on the couch where you will spend the rest of the night, publishing thought-provoking posts while your car remains unvacuumed and you still don't know if Osama has indeed been captured.

Am I right? I am, aren't I?! I just know it. :)

swn said...

ummm, i had something to add, but i think i'm gonna have to go with whatever tracymichele said.....

TracyMichele said...

*that should be absent mindedness! Sorry. :)

TroyBoy said...

The standing as of 9:19 AM Tuesday morning:

Hilda 1st place
Tracy 2nd place

swn - c'mon, you can do it!

The race is tighter than a deer tick up a bloodhound's rump.

Final results in a few hours or days, whichever one results in me milking more comments.

swn said...

because your one of the few people in the world that drives a ford pendeja?

Cristina said...

I remember that Nova story from high school! I didn't know the Electrolux one. Why did you post about that?...trolling the internet for blog fodder stumbled across it in snopes...?? Who cares! It was entertaining and informative too! I heartily believed that Nova story. Who knew?

sari said...

there used to be a restaurant in California called Cocos. I had a friend from Brazil and she never wanted to go there because she said coco in portuguese translates to poop (to say it nicely). that's what she told me, anyway, she'd always laugh about it.

sari said...

and I have a friend who ALWAYS sends me this dire emails that say "THIS HAS BEEN VERIFIED ON SNOPES! IT'S TRUE!" and then when I check it out on snopes it is always false.