This site is dedicated to my fondness for fowl. Not in any way that requires years of therapy. It's not even my favorite meat. I just think it's neat. What can I say? I am easily amused.
Plus, it may have something to do with the fact that my first and middle names said together are a homonym of poultry (Paul Troy).

Saturday, May 24, 2008

More Thoughts On Parenting - Your Thoughts Please

Last night Matt and I went for a run...

...an ice cream run, that is. You know, where ya run out to get something, like ice cream. You didn't think that I meant...that we went....if you were thinking those horrible thoughts about me, then take them back. The only time you'll find me running is if someone is chasing me.

But I digress...

So, while we're at the DQ, we were standing in line behind a mom who was ordering ice cream with her youngin', I'd say he was about 8, and the patriarch of their family was sitting on a bench nearby. As she is trying to tell the ice scream scooper kid what they wanted, she was interrupted by her son who was whining and pleading for something...I can't tell you what exactly because of a language barrier, but suffice it to say that it was ice cream related. He was pulling on her blouse while half-saying & half-crying the words, "Mami, Mami!" over and over. He was so annoying.

The mom then turns to the ice cream scooper kid and conveyed the kid's request, with the help of her husband who spoke English. That's right; the kid was given whatever he was whining for! So they were ordering some more stuff when the kid starts up again. I complained to Matt about the kid being a brat and he just shrugs it off with a grateful appreciation that he doesn't have to deal with the kid. I wish I could do that. But instead, I let it irk me. So anyway, apparently this time the kid didn't get what he wanted because he stomped off away from her, then he turned around, and threw something at her. HE THREW SOMETHING AT HER!!! He ended his performance by throwing himself onto the bench where he pouted and whimpered. Did I mention the kid is 8, maybe 9? So she finishes her order, pays for it, and then turns to her family where she gives the kid his ice cream.

In my head, I am playing out the scenario as if it were me and Lil' Phez (who's 4) in the roles of the mom and her kid, and let me tell you: None of the scenarios end in me giving him ice cream. I still get pissed thinking about it.

They then go outside and sit on the benches in the front of the store to eat their ice cream. We buy our stuff and 5 minutes later we exit the store. When we get outside, the kid is wailing about something. I so wanted to tell that kid a word or two - or three or four. That little spoiled brat. Instead I muttered something to Matt and just shrugged as we trotted out to the my car and headed home.

So, here's the question....should I have said something? This is assuming the kid understands English.

8 comments:

Hilda said...

IMO, no, you shouldn't have said anything unless the little monster's behavior negatively impacted you in some way.

If for example while throwing whatever he threw at his mom he hit you, then yes - you should have spoken to whoever understood you to please curb their child. Otherwise, giving the kid *the death glare* is enough. That's what I do.

Matt said...

I agree with Hilda on this one! The "stare of doom" as I like to call it can be fairly intimidating if done right!

Besides that he really didn't do anything to you except annoy you which really isn't negatively impacting you because you are choosing to let it ignore you, but now I am digressing!

Oh, and by the way, I did run before I went over your house yesterday, I did 20 minutes of strength training, and 10 minutes of running!

TracyMichele said...

Now that I have had time to remove my jaw from the desk, I am going to go with no, you shouldn't say anything.. at least not directly to the child. If it were me, I would have been loudly speaking to Matt and using phrases like, "WOW.. a less co-dependent parent might throw out his ice cream cone", or "if MY child threw something at me, he had better run... run like the wind". Or better yet, walk up to the counter and start pitching a fit and act surprised when the family looks oddly at you. Then declare, "Well.. it worked for HIM". *giggle*

swn said...

having spent the better part of the past ten years working with kids and families in new york city, and even in my present occupation working with children and families at a childrens shelter, let me just say that while it should be the opinion of every civilized human being that rewarding that childs behavior with ice cream is sooooo wrong. and it is easy to feel as though it is almost your duty to say something, heck forget duty, it would take a great deal of self control not to say something just out of sheer frustration. if you had said something either, to the child, or to the childs parents, in any language you would have accomplished little other than starting a fight. no one likes to have it insinuated that at they are a bad parent. and oddly enough, no one hates it more than people whose parenting skills are not exactly phenomenal. it was once said that it takes a village to raise a child, sadly, this is no longer the case.

TroyBoy said...

Thanks everyone. It would seem as though I made the right choice. I am in the very long process of learning that if someone does something that I find annoying, I just need to get over it.

I don't know how some of you do it!

Cristina said...

Ah, troyboy we are all learning to let go. "I can only control me and how I react to others not the others themselves." It's not easy but it must be learnt and done to enjoy all of life to the fullest. Not easy...I know!

Andrea Frazer said...

I'm with hilda. maybe he had a sensory disorder. maybe not. but either way it was not your child.

sari said...

I wouldn't have said anything to him because he's not my kid...unless he did something to me or my kids.

However, if it were one of my kids they would have had a swift trip back to the car, icecreamless, for acting like that!!

I remember once I was in a store (before kids) and there was a kid about 6 or 7 throwing a complete hissy fit - he threw himself on the ground and was having a tantrum. I was lucky enough to walk up to him right at the end of a raging fit and I couldn't help it - I just laughed right at him as hard as I could. Stupid tantrum. but the kid was so shocked he totally shut up and slunk back to his mom.

Ah, good times.