This site is dedicated to my fondness for fowl. Not in any way that requires years of therapy. It's not even my favorite meat. I just think it's neat. What can I say? I am easily amused.
Plus, it may have something to do with the fact that my first and middle names said together are a homonym of poultry (Paul Troy).

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Wanna Hear A Story?

This has been the question of the day for the last two days around our house. It is posed by our 3 year old and the answer really doesn't matter, because a story will be told. Then we hear the undeniable classic opening of all great literature..."Once upon a time". Though it sounds more like, "Unce upon a tuh-yme". Then we hear about a witch. There is some sort of conflict with him, playing the part of the main victim-cum-hero of the story, the witch, and one of his favorite characters who come to his aid, and in addition, sometimes fruit is involved. Then just as the story is getting juicy, well as juicy as it could get coming from a three year old, he says, "The end".

He told me 11 stories on the way to school this morning, a twenty minute drive, and ten of them had a witch as the nemesis. The eleventh story started out with Once upon a time but before he got to the part about the witch, which is the second sentence, he announced he was hungry. I imagine that the story will pick back up when I get him from preschool this afternoon. And I am waiting with baited breath, really.

4 comments:

TracyMichele said...

And now I am waiting with baited breath! Please provide an update..

We have an almost-3yo and her stories always involve a pig. Yes. A pig. My favorite tale is: One A Time, a pig had a car. The End. My child is brilliant. Brilliant, I say. ;)

sari said...

Mine is five and never stops yammering. He'll say something and then two seconds later start over and say it again...then say "Actually, I meant _____" and then tell me something else.

It's like noise pollution, but I mean that in the best way and with much love, if you know what I mean.

I love the looks people give him when we're out in public - he can bring a big smile to your face - but by the end of the day Mom has a Quiet Rule, ha ha.

Cristina said...

ok, so here's what you have to do. Get a piece of paper and write his story down. I mean word for word, as he's telling it to you. Only write a couple (somtimes 1) line on a page towards the bottom and then give him some crayons to draw the pictures that go with it. I know it will all be gibberish and the pictures will make as much sense as the story but it will be a treasure for years to come. Take it from someone who didn't do that and who's 3 year olds are now 15 & 17. I'd love to hear "ya know what?" again.

TroyBoy said...

Tracy Michele - I wonder if Meme's curiosity with barnyard animals has to do with the fact that y'all live in Tennessee. And I love how her stories are short and two the point. You didn't even have to wait for a commercial break for the ending! :-)

Sari - Maybe Five is preparing for giving a Grand Jury testimony? :-)

PurplePassion - Great Idea! Thank you so much.