This site is dedicated to my fondness for fowl. Not in any way that requires years of therapy. It's not even my favorite meat. I just think it's neat. What can I say? I am easily amused.
Plus, it may have something to do with the fact that my first and middle names said together are a homonym of poultry (Paul Troy).

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Manic Monday - Oh, Okay, Fine...Manic Tuesday

Today isn't that manic of a day for me, but I was recently reminded of the glorious era of the 80's and the title came to me like a member's only jacket comes to the kid wearing parachute pants. Uh, thanks Sari. I am so stuck in an 80's thing right now. So, best and worst of the 80's. This is NOT a meme. Just a fun 80's post. Feel fun to weigh in if you wish either here or on your own blog.
Note: It'd be totally rad if you let me know that you were continuing the post on your blog.

Worst 80's Video:
"Here I Go Again" by WhiteSnake. I have nothing against the song but I remember thinking that a 3 minute of a half naked girl sprawled over the top of a sports car was just plain dumb. And yes I was "normal" teen aged boy.

Best 80's Video:
"I Love To Be Sedated" by the Ramones. I know most folks would say "Thriller" by Michael 'Noseless' Jackson but that seems to obvious of a choice.

Worst 80's Fad Idea:
Hair. Big Hair. Guys with short ponytails. Crimped hair. All of it. We were a nation obsessed with hair fads. I am not naming this as a bad fad as a bitter bald man. Though I do miss my mullet.

Best 80's Fad Idea:
Pegged jeans. I also would wear a primary colored undershirt with a white short sleeved button shirt that was striped with the same color of the undershirt. I would then peg the shirt sleeves so and roll it so the under shirt would create a colorful band at the end of each sleeve. Complete with my deck shoes with no socks. And the spiked mullet, can't forget the mullet. Dude, I was cool.

Worst 80's TV Show:
Valerie. My God, what was the point?!

Best 80's TV Show:
"Doogie Howser". And in the 90's it was the "The Wonder Years". Those guys were my role models. Okay so, in the case of Kevin Arnold, my sights were not that lofty.

Okay, that's all I have for now. Other than to say that Mmmmmmmmax Headroom lives forever!

6 comments:

Hilda said...

I think the worst 80s video was "Rapture" by Blondie. There isn't enough "chemical enhancement" on Earth that would make that video make sense.

Off the top of my head the best video - with the exception of "Thriller" which was IMO brilliant but really more of a mini-movie - was "Take On Me" by A-Ha!

You know what, I'm going to answer the rest of this this on my Blog!

sari said...

I have to say I can't stand the Bangles. In any way, shape or form. Blech.

But, I do love the Ramones. I loved my Guess jeans, which I wouldn't wear now. I loved miniskirts and white tank tops and funky hair (of all colors, which mine was, but never permanently, always wash out). I think I had a lavendar Members Only jacket. And plastic jelly shoes, I am SO sure!

I loved Max Headroom. I always wanted to name my sons Edison because I loved that show so much but it never panned out.

Someday!

UmmFarouq said...

Anyone who lists Chick-Fil-A on his blogroll is A-OK. It's the coveted chicken sandwich of chicken sandwichland, the best tasting thing in all of the continental US. My kids and I sure do miss them.

TroyBoy said...

Well thank you for the props Ummfarouq. While CFA is righteous, I think there are some stiff competitors for "best tasting thing in all of the continental U.S" Leaving anything with pork in out of the running in deference to your beliefs, I say there are still tons of viable candidates for this honor.

An all beef chicago dog
New York pizza
Philly Cheese Steak
Vaca Frita
Pecan Pie
Cheese Grits
Fish Tacos (not my favorite but I am trying to represent Cali with this one)

The list could go on...and probably will in a future blog post. :-)

Anonymous said...

Okay! First off...Wonder Years was on in the 80's much longer than Doogie Howser! Doogie Howser got 6 months of the 80s at the most! (Seeing that it premired Fall of 89!) Wonder Years began in 88!

TracyMichele said...

What about leg warmers?? Which *yikes* I hear are coming back.

I would have voted for Family Ties or Growing Pains as best TV. But I am a girl in love with MJFox and KCameron.

I'm new to your blog (so far I am liking it) and I don't know who Matt is.. but I think he has entirely too much time on his hands or at least he did from 1988-1989. hehe.