This site is dedicated to my fondness for fowl. Not in any way that requires years of therapy. It's not even my favorite meat. I just think it's neat. What can I say? I am easily amused.
Plus, it may have something to do with the fact that my first and middle names said together are a homonym of poultry (Paul Troy).

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Daddy, What's That?

Last night I served Corned Beef & Cabbage, which by the way isn't authentic Irish fare. I served it with Mookie Mookie, otherwise known as potatoes. I cooked it all in a pressure cooker and the potatoes, which had been quartered, took on the the liquid in the cooker (amber beer & chicken stock) so they became a bit darker, and very yummy.

Our three year old is not a fan of potatoes. It's odd because he'll eat almost anything. So, knowing his disdain for the potato, I didn't serve any on his plate. He saw it on my plate and didn't recognize it, so he asked me, "Daddy, what's that?". Not wanting to lose the opportunity to get him to eat potato, I said, "This baby? It's called Mookie Mookie." "Mookie, Mookie?!" he replied with a giggle. "Yep, would you like some?" "Yes, please." he said with excitement of an adventurer setting sails to chart new lands. He took a bite. "Do you like it?", I asked with some trepidation. "Yes! It tastes like potato."

He took one more bite, went back to his corned beef, which he polished off, and then announced that he was done, discarding the last bite of lonely Mookie Mookie.

8 comments:

sari said...

Six is notoriously picky and it's very hard to get him to eat anything, at least your son tried it!

What are you doing writing blog posts at 4:06 AM? Pulling baby duty? ;-)

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

Does he eat veggies? If so, potatoes are not a bad casualty.

TroyBoy said...

Sari - homey was up at 1:30 until 2:30 and wailed himself back to sleep. I on the other hand, had gotten a bad case of insomnia and couldn't go back to sleep. So I caught up on Catebury's Law & New Amsterdam and then I blogged. I finally fell asleep around 5 am. - YAWWWWWWWWWN

Jess - Yes, we are very lucky that lil man eats his veggies, although lately he has been a little more reluctant than he has been. But his all time favorite is mushrooms, raw, sauted, grilled - he loves them.

Maria said...

Wow...potatoes were always a big winner with my Liv. She still loves them any way they are cooked.

And yes, my parents were both born in Ireland and we never, ever ate corned beef and cabbage. It wasn't until I was in college and a girlfriend "treated" me to a "real Irish dinner" that I ate corned beef....

Angela Bailey Estep said...

Hi,

Just out and about tonight, checking out other people's blogs and articles on their website. I seem to have a bit of writer's block for the past week, so really trying to get my mind running with new ideas. Really like your website, found lots of interesting info. Keep up the good work!!

As a webmaster and website owner myself, I believe this article may interest you.

You can get paid up to $4,800/month to add a banner ad on your website. A famous network just offered to pay any website owner up to $4,800/month to show their banner ad on their websites!!

And listen to this...Even if you chose to remove their banner ad from your website after the one month of exposure, they'll keep on paying you that amount every month afterward!!

This is hotter than Google Adwords and can greatly increase traffic to your website.

Read the article. Link http://viralurl.com/acemarketing/CTmoney

Will soon be back to visit again.

All the best....

Angela

P.S. Feel free to comment on my blog page and leave a link to your main website. http://www.netwebmarketer.com/acemarketing

TracyMichele said...

My kids hate "regular" potatoes.. yet they will down a bucket of fries if I let them. Hrm.. go figure!

TroyBoy said...

Trace - I do believe our kids are related somehow! Our 3 year old LOVES fries, but not as much as the Apple Dippers available at Mickey D's. Yes, we are counting our blessings!

Andrea Frazer said...

Okay, that was funny. Your three year old is pretty smart. Must take after Daddy.