This site is dedicated to my fondness for fowl. Not in any way that requires years of therapy. It's not even my favorite meat. I just think it's neat. What can I say? I am easily amused.
Plus, it may have something to do with the fact that my first and middle names said together are a homonym of poultry (Paul Troy).

Monday, October 8, 2007

I Can Now Say…

I have performed on stage at the Improv! Yes, it’s true. However, no, I wasn’t doing stand-up. This past Saturday, I competed at the Division E Toastmasters Evaluation Contest.

First, I do believe a bit of a back-story is in order...

In a previous post, I provided the contents of a speech that I gave at my Toastmasters’ club Humorous Speech contest. I had also won the Evaluation Contest, which is where the contestants all listen to the same speech. Then they prepare their notes for five minutes and leave the room. Then, one-by-one, each contestant is called back into the room, given their notes, and they deliver a 2 to 3 minute evaluation. Winning both events meant I was to compete at the Area contest, where the winners from 5 or 6 clubs will compete. Our Area Contest was last Wednesday. I won the Evaluation Contest and came in 2nd with my Phoenix Speech for the Humorous Speech contest. So, this past Saturday I competed in the Division Contest, which consists of 7 area winners. The audience consisted of about 100 Toastmasters and guests. So how did I do?

Technically, I tied for 2nd place. The rules state that there are to be no ties, so a secret tie-breaking judge cast their ballot putting me into 3rd place. I’m not bothered by coming in 3rd place. Especially when you consider that it was third out of all the contestants that had competed and lost in the all the area and club contests prior. Not too shabby! And the best part, it was a great experience. When public speaking is a passion, one is never sorry for the chance to appear on stage, even if they don’t come in first.