This site is dedicated to my fondness for fowl. Not in any way that requires years of therapy. It's not even my favorite meat. I just think it's neat. What can I say? I am easily amused.
Plus, it may have something to do with the fact that my first and middle names said together are a homonym of poultry (Paul Troy).

Sunday, June 8, 2008

To Shamelessly Promote a Product or Not - That Is the Question!

Up until now I haven't ever promoted any products or services on my blog. It isn't that I am against it, although I do lean heavily towards the opinion that huge corporations don't need my assistance when they pour millions into Madison Avenue.

It really is a great system as it is and we the commoners don't need to mess with it. The corporations spend advertising dollars thus keeping folks employed in marketing firms, finishing houses and a whole bunch of other places too, I suppose. So why am considering throwing my leanings into the wind in order to promote a line of products?

Is it because I am getting paid commission? Nope! Though, if the company wanted to send me a complimentary product or two, I wouldn't complain.

Is it some type of marketing pyramid like Amway? Hell, no.

Is it because I like the performance of the products I've tried so far and I like that the company uses materials that are non-toxic, environmentally friendly, and never tested on animals? Well, yeah!

Don't get me wrong. While I want the planet to stick around for as long as possible and cherish the idea of my great-great-great-great grand kids living on said planet without the aid of an oxygen tank or a body suit, I don't necessarily consider myself I twig eating tree hugger.

Also, as far as I can tell, they're not a huge corporation; they're the little guy on the block and that's another reason I don't mind asking others to consider trying these guys out.

The company is called Seventh Generation. Here is their website. Their products are available at Publix and Target - maybe other places, I just know of these two retailers.

So far, we've only used their spray cleaner (similar to Clorox spray) and their dish detergent. I saw the spray cleaner in the store and at first, I was skeptical. But I saw that it was environmentally friendly and non-toxic. With a 8 month old and a 4 year old, I bought it. A few weeks later, I came across the dish detergent in the same Publix. So I bought that too. When I first used, I thought I was going to be disappointed. It comes out very watery and there is no fake lemony smell to tell you that this stuff cleans great. Another nod to Madison avenue for bringing us, the American Consumers, to yet another illogical conclusion. But damned if it doesn't clean just as well, if not better, than the other brands.

So, give it a try. Tell me what you think!

7 comments:

swn said...

to paraphrase george carlin, the earth has survived cosmic rays, meteors, tectonic shifts,and volcanoes, yet we think that some non biodegradable plastic will destroy the planet. the planet isn't going anywhere, WE ARE.

swn said...

oh, and can anyone tell me why my dish detergent contains real lemon juice, and my lemon flavored iced tea doesn't?

TroyBoy said...

Hey Marty - what does the swn stand for anyways & why did you stop using the Marty profile to leave comments? Oh, and I have no idea about the lemon juice thing.

swn said...

actually, swn is an old nickname i aquired several years ago when i was working as a d.j. i confessed to somone at a gig that i was also a licensed minister, and since i dont exactly look like a minister, (you would be surprised how many people ask me if i am a cop or a bodyguard) the person started calling me "satans worst nightmare" a name i didn't exactly take to with relish. well, then they just started calling me "s.w.n." and it just stuck. i still use it because i like the fact that no one knows what it means
i don't know how or why google started calling me swn. my email address is thedjswn@gmail.com it's also my google login. ( that's probably the kind of info i'm not supposed to share, oh well ) i must have put swn in as a name somewhere, and google just switched them

Hilda said...

We use Seventh Generation dish detergent, dishwasher detergent and laundry detergent - so far they've all been great. And I didn't notice it being all that more expensive.

Princess in Galoshes said...

Hi! Little late to the conversation, but came here from Pass the Zoloft.

I really like 7th Generation products, too. Their paper towels don't tear well at all, but they're made from recycled paper so... eh. I still use them.

I'm enjoying your blog, I'll be back!

Sari said...

Method is also good, but I"m glad to hear about 7th Generation! I've seen their products in the stores but haven't purchased them because I didn't know how well they worked. I will check them out now.