This site is dedicated to my fondness for fowl. Not in any way that requires years of therapy. It's not even my favorite meat. I just think it's neat. What can I say? I am easily amused.
Plus, it may have something to do with the fact that my first and middle names said together are a homonym of poultry (Paul Troy).

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Steven Wright: Anything but right!

Last night Mayra and went to see Steven Wright at the Carnival Center with another couple while another good friend watched Wesley for us. I have been a Steven Wright fan since I was a kid but I recognize that for most he can be an acquired taste. Click here for a sampling of his humor: http://http:/humor.mcf.com/misc/stevenwright.html

So, more about last night's show. We had awesome seats only 3 rows from the stage. There was an elderly (times 10) couple sitting next to Mayra. They were a trip! They were very noticeable and prior to the show I took to referring to him as Uncle Sy. Uncle Sy man was impatient and started clapping at 8:15 when the show should've started at 8:00. It started around 8:20. Uncle Sy's wife had a touch of "What did he say?" By touch I mean that she asked that question to Uncle Sy after almost every punch line. It was actually funny at one point when Steven Wright did a bit where he sings a song but he just mumbles through the lyrics - think of Dylan. Uncle Sy's wife would ask, yet once again, what Wright was saying but he didn't know; no one did! Despite the neighborly annoyances, it was a very good show and Wright did a solid performance. This is the second time I've seen him live and he did more new material this time, only using his old stuff a few times. Though I do wish he would've told one of his all time classics: I walked up to a 24 hour convenience store when the guy was locking the door. I said, "The sign says 'Open 24 Hours' ". He said, "Yeah, but not in a row." Although I do now have a new favorite Wright quote: "On a scale from 1 to 10, 6 being the highest."

No comments: